September 2, 2015 - Comments Off on Hulu Finally Launches Ad-Free Version
Beginning today, subscribers can upgrade to an ad-free plan for $11.99 per month…
Whoo hoo! I immediately changed my plan over to the ad-free version. I can now catch up on some of the shows that have been sitting in my queue for awhile that I’ve been dreading to watch, simply because of the commercials.
Buuuut…there is the fine print:
This show is not included in our No Commercials plan but has been made available to you with a short commercial before and after each episode with no interruptions during the show.
I’m still OK with that…mostly.
The next big thing Hulu needs to do is standardize it’s catalog. They have way too many shows with “exceptions”. I’ll give you some examples…
FX is very confusing…
- The Strain - You can watch all of season 1, but none of the current Season 2 episodes
- Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll - You can watch the latest episode from this season, but only with a cable subscription
- Archer - only seasons 1-5 available; even though season 6 already aired, it’s not available
- American Horror Story - Only seasons 1-3 are available; even though season 4 already aired, it’s not available and season 5 starts soon on FX
- The Americans - Only clips are available. If this is the case, why even have it show up on the site at all?
FOX is a bit better…
- Gotham - You can only watch the last 5 episodes along with episodes the day after they air
- Brooklyn Nine-Nine - You can watch all of seasons 1 and 2 along with episodes the day after they air
- Bobs Burgers - All of season 5 along with episodes the day after they air
- Mindy Project - Seasons 1-3 are available with season 4 airing exclusively on HULU.
- Hell’s Kitchen - You can watch Seasons 1-11, 13 and new Season 14 episodes the day after air
CW seems to be the easiest to understand…
- The Flash, Arrow, The 100, The Messengers, Beauty & the Beast - You can only watch the last 5 episodes along with episodes the day after they air
Here’s my recommendation hulu:
Focus on providing the ultimate cord cutters package - the last 5 episodes from each show on all 4 broadcast networks; no cable subscription needed. Stop worrying about back catalogs, full seasons, or previous seasons. If a user wants the full season from a past year, let them find the disc on Netflix.